Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Parabolas and Snake Mackerel

Where did we leave off...oh yeah.


So since my last post I went to Charleston, SC, Vegas for another professional event, and Raleigh NC (a regular haunt now). Hands-down favorite was the low country of SC. I stayed in a fortressesque hotel that used to be the Citadel, back door opens onto King Street, no kidding. Seafood is mandated by this kind of  proximity to mother blue, and I got some good tips from the bellman. Went strolling/trawling and wandered down an alley or two, ended up in a place called the Coast. Jackpot. I settled in with my barman (props to John) and asked my questions: What's local? What's fresh?...Blackened Escolar on a bed of little local peas (avec butter, bacon, and chives), damn, but not enough; a seared baseball-sized tuna hunk from the local catch served in a pool of dark, rich wine reduction; different/better than any tuna I've ever tasted (including the yellow-fin in Hawaii)...almost there; bacon-wrapped scallops batting cleanup...all washed down with Palmetto Amber. Um...if you noticed, that was 3 entrĂ©es...John was also surprised and I guess I drew some attention...the last dish was hand-delivered by the executive chef.

Foodblogging unintentionally now, but I also had one (and only one) decent meal in Vegas, served family-style (word).  The lineup looked like this:

MGM Grand, Seablue restuarant...it will do.

Nothing of note in Raleigh, hangin' at the Umstead (like this joint, everything quality) as usual. Being in Raleigh so much gets me to thinkin' though... ;-)

Next entry, no food or travel talk, promise.

0 comments:

Post a Comment