Monday, September 13, 2010

'The Life'?...not quite what I expected

Geez, busy. Got a screenplay under development, working a doctorate, and work is blowing up. Put that together with my need to overhaul my personal life and overcome the obstacles to happy endings there…and I need a drink.

Was down in Ft Lauderdale a few weeks back, wound up spending some time at the hotel bar and met some really nice folks. At one point I was the referee between a large group of gay guys on my left (they adopted me as a mascot I think, I haven’t been ‘cute’ in a long time), and a rowdy bunch of trade show ladies on my right. Had a couple of interested parties on both sides…awkward! Fun though, and eventually everyone scattered to the four balmy winds of So Fla. Learned a lot over two nights from the guys, flighty things, one smart one though. When Spain came up, and was touted as the place for the gay scene in Europe, we tangented over to a discussion of Franco and fascism. I think he was a little starved for solid conversation.

 

My best (and only) allies in the place were my barmen. Mauricio and Nacho. Mauricio was the elder stateman, and Nacho can charm the paint off the wall. Mauricio was tasked by some nice old lady to come back to her with an espresso martini, which he dutifully did. I saw it, and had to try one. Uh, not good.  Nacho detected my dissatisfaction and proposed some modifications: less coffee, more sugar. Much better, quite a pick-me-up knock-me-down sort of drink. The Nacho Martini lives, and I'm due back in October for round 2.


0 comments:

Post a Comment